Things I've Learned from Blogging | February 2015

Saturday, February 28, 2015

I have reached the 2 month mark of "having a blog" [read: I have very little to show for it, but it's an ongoing process] and I have learned far more than I could have anticipated....

Yikes.

Thing's I've Learned From Blogging - Theperpetuallypolished.blogspot.com

1. Take your time getting started.

Some may argue that it has taken me entirely too long. With a blog that supposedly began in January, I haven't done much in terms of actual blogging.
In my mind, that is absolutely okay.
I do not have time to advertise a project that I am not 100% proud of or satisfied with. All production stops until it is right again!
In retrospect, I would have very much preferred to begin the blog when I was sure of everything.
Blog name, blog tagline, blog color scheme, blog platform, my own biography, etc.
However, as a blogger, I declare with 80% confidence that a large number of bloggers feel a bit of regret over at least one of those things, once a week.



2. Regardless of the amount of time it took you to work on something, whether it be a blog post, design, or even a concept, it's okay to change your mind.

I have spent hours, perhaps even days, working on ideas that I eventually decided not to implement. I have taken myself through at least 3 different layouts in the span of these two months, all three of which I have worked on tirelessly (currently on my third. It's pretty, right? Tell me it's pretty).

I considered purchasing from a professional, but the satisfaction of an accomplished DIY is unmatched, I could not simply sit back and take the easy way out! Struggle toward fruition!
Turns out, web design is a perpetual struggle.

All that time? It was all necessary.
If you don't follow the paths of your ideas, you will never know if they'll be successful.
As much as I may regret the amount of time spent, I am certainly thankful for the outcome.



3. You can still "be original" if your blog looks like just like everyone else's (???????????)

This concept is huge. Truthfully, I could dedicate an entire blog post to this topic. Why, my darling, has it taken me so very long to be somewhat satisfied with the appearance of my blog?
Individuality and the status quo is why!
In search of inspiration on the appearance of my blog, I have searched high and low for "successful" blogs that implement designs other than black and white....
Try to find 3 highly successful blogs that do not have an underlying theme of black and white.
I dare you.
It is nearly impossible!
In fact, for the longest time I intended on having a beautiful color scheme. Treating my blog like a house. Creating a Sherwin Williams paint display on Photoshop.
Then it hit me, and I am so glad it did!
Just because you want your blog to look like everyone else’s, that doesn’t mean you aren’t being true to yourself.
You’re accustomed to seeing certain layouts and certain types of images. Certain types of posts. And you see that it’s worked for them, so it should work for you too.
This entire conversation [that I may or may not have been carrying with myself] is still a topic of debate.



4. If you don't like it, change it.

Content? Change it.
Layout? Change it.
Blog name? Possibly complicated, but definitely possible to change.



5. Blogging is hard.

I know people say "blogging is hard work" all the time. But really, no one ever elaborates. Has anyone really explained how they got from point "create blog" to point "I need to hire a team to help me run this blog". Perhaps it happened so quickly that they couldn't seem to document what exactly just happened.
I, on the other hand, can document this.

The struggle is real.

The expectations that people have of blogs these days are very, very high.
Professional photography.
Daily content.
The newest products.
Impressive travels.
So many blogs consist of teams of people, that it almost seems silly to begin an amateur blog these days.
If you aren't a "full-time" blogger, will you ever be on the radar?
Well, my personal thought process is...
Everyone starts from somewhere.
Do it for yourself and the rest will follow.
Or just do it for yourself, whether success ultimately follows you or not, because your inner desires are more important.
Numbers don't define you.
Let them judge!


Note: If this is your get-rich-quick scheme... Find employment elsewhere.

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *