Brunch With Me At Jane

Sunday, February 1, 2015



theperpetuallypolished.blogspot.com Brunch Invitation
On Sundays (ideally once a week, but realistically, once or twice a month) I'll send you an invitation to have brunch with yours truly.

 As you see to your left, this winter weather has gotten me craving even the slightest hint of sunshine, flowers, and joy. 

We’ll be getting together to dine, dish, and decipher the events in our everyday lives. We polished ladies love to unload and unwind over brunch.


I’m not sure how you prefer your brunches, but there’s a system to our conversation. As polished ladies, we’re so organized that even our conversations flow in a proper order.
Phase 1: Small talk
Phase 2: Complaints & Boasting
Phase 3: TBD

Perhaps we only look polished on Sundays. Our perpetually ladylike conversation will come soon, I’m sure.
----------

Today is a Jane day.

We approach the restaurant at the same time, coming from opposite directions.
We hug one another, fondly but delicately.
We kiss one another on either cheek.
We’re polished, ladies. Oh so polished.

----------
We enter the dimly lit restaurant, sun shining through the front window, the low hum of music heard softly beneath the murmuring voices of seated diners. So cozy.
We’re seated, menus in hand, devouring the black script ravenously.


----------

I’ve been looking forward to a sugary, carb-loaded brunch all week.
For those of you planning to kick off the month of February with a Superbowl party, you’ll need all of those carbs to soak up the alcohol in your system later on tonight anyways, right? Soften the blow of that hangover and you’ll be (somewhat) good to go tomorrow morning for class or work.

Or at least that’s the advice I’m giving you this afternoon.
----------

The waitress comes over to ask what we’d like to drink. I’m ready to order. Are you?

Well, I hope you can figure out before I’m done ordering.
I mean... JK? Ha…ha, I really do adore you, darling.

I’ll have a hot tea, English Breakfast, soy milk on the side…
and a splash of patience while I weather this storm of your indecision…

I jest, I jest. As Sean Kingston once said, “She’s indecisive. She can’t decide.” Shout out to modern day music for teaching us so many useful things. I can imagine the scores of young students who used that sentence as an example for their vocabulary homework… and possibly had points deducted.

----------

I sip my tea, eyeing you over the ceramic rim as you vacillate between sweet and savory.
I’m telling you, you can have savory any time that isn’t brunch. How often is your sweet option offered? Only brunch. Decision made.
Or next weekend we can dine on both Saturday and Sunday so you can have sweet one day and savory the next.

What am I getting?

The Vanilla Bean French Toast is my vice of choice.
The delightfully fluffy brioche bread, a sweet crème brûlée batter, puffed to perfection… Soon to be dredged in Vermont Maple Syrup by yours truly. See, darling, I told you sweet is the way to go.

The waitress returns. I am delighted. We order.
------------------

Now I sip my tea with excitement.

This week has been crazy. Entering Phase 2…

SUBJECT: THE ARMAGEDDON BLIZZARD

Absolutely one of the worst-timed snow storms for me, personally. Snow days are nice and all, but I’m also no longer at an age that I would like to play in the snow. Quite contrarily, it ceases all of my progress.

Terribly awkward that New York City was the first (and really, the only city I heard) to warn people about the upcoming dangerous conditions, citing this storm as one of the worst since 19?? Alternatively, could’ve been the worst blizzard of all time.

6” do not a blizzard make, thankfully. I had a flight to catch. Shout out to my New England for catching the worst of the storm.

But now that flight…. Sweetie, do not get me started.
And JFK is now officially my least favorite airport of all time.

Sidenote: am I the only one that walks past first class in awe of all of the things that economy is missing? Why don’t I get calming blue lights to illuminate my bag under the seat as I prop my legs up on the fully reclined pseudo-bed? Where is my little chandelier? My partition?

Patiently waiting for my upgrade. Who do I need to bribe first?

SUBJECT: JET LAG

Still whining about it in private, but I refuse to be perceived as anything but elegant and well-traveled.

SUBJECT: AIRPLANE ATTIRE

All I’m saying is, are those heels really necessary right now? There’s no way she quickly took off those strappy heels at TSA.

She must’ve had TSA Pre-Check.

And she was in coach. Who was she trying to impress in coach? Save the strappies for first class, honey… or just wear boots like everyone else in the middle of winter.

----------
The food comes. I love food.

I rarely, if ever, take pics of my food for Insta... I'm so in the zone, I always forget.
But seriously, no worries if you always do. No judgment. Do what makes you happy, girl!

If you’re really that curious to see my delicious French Toast, you’ll have to lean over and look yourself. 
----------
We eat our food slowly and daintily, as polished women typically do.

We sit up straight before, during, and after we eat – no matter how much we may want to slump in our chairs from the caloric overload.

We both offer to pay the bill, with no true intention of paying for the whole bill ourselves. We split it, of course, then we’re on our way.
----------

My week has truly been an adjustment period, and it will probably continue for the next few weeks. I don’t have too much else to dish about, unfortunately. Hopefully when my life settles down a bit I’ll have more material for phase 3. In the meantime, I will certainly be taking life step-by-step and day-by-day for as long as I can. I feel incredibly grateful for where I am in my life at the moment, and I hope that you do too! Even if things aren’t quite going the way you’d like them to (which is probably what’s happening in all of our lives to some extent).
----------

How has your week been? Have you made any plans for the upcoming week as a result of this one?

Thank you for spending your Sunday brunch with me!

Until next time, darling.
Kiss. Kiss.

Dionna



Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *