Decor Indecision | Chic or Comfortable?

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

With spring approaching, it is nearly time to begin spring cleaning. Spring cleaning, for me, means redecorating. Do you ever have those moments when you know you'd like to change something, but you're not sure what you'd like the result to be?

Without a polished home-base, how can I, as a young woman, be perpetually polished in all ways?

This is an interior decorating crisis of the third degree.

I call upon the experts:  HGTV, Houzz, House Beautiful, Elle Décor, Pinterest!

 I, personally, am torn between two completely different ideas


The Two Possibilities

1. The Pristine Urban-Chic: The ideal, chic-city-girl-all-white-everything-with-tons-of-fur. Couches and chairs that I fear will be ruined if one of my guests appear clad in a fresh pair of unwashed blue jeans... But with such a beautiful, dream-like aesthetic that makes my inner princess dance around her palace with joy.


2. The Warm Home: Decor that feels like the home of an adult. Pieces and colors that require little maintenance but look undeniably timeless. Furniture that invites guests to eat, drink, and be merry upon arrival. A place to unwind, entertain, and actually live!


Let's see some examples.


The Pristine Urban-Chic

 White is everywhere. White is the “color” everyone is choosing for… well, everything. Blankets, linens, throw pillows, dishware, iPhones, curtains, rugs, sofas and settees, bath towels, shower curtains, their dogs. When I see those beautifully chic spaces adorned in white everything, I lust after that immaculate hue of chic. We all know how beautifully picturesque it is:


The Warm Home

What I imagine my "grown-up" house to resemble. Beautifully sophisticated, on the warmer side of the color spectrum. The true definition of perpetually polished.

Saskatoon Interior Designers
Miller and Wright Architects

My favorite colors for the home are gold, beige, white, black, and select pastels. Incorporating a few more hues into the "pristine urban-chic" may leave us with something similar to these:

Compromise?

Candice Olson, [My favorite designer]
Candice Olson
Nichole Loiacono Design
Jino Design Ltd

[All images either link to the source, or have the links below them.]

How do you feel about your setup? Do you need to redesign for spring? What's your favorite aesthetic?

Until next time, darling -
Kisses.
Dionna

Contact Me

Name

Email *

Message *